Most people’s reaction upon hearing you purchased a diamond ring online would be one of surprise and the likely question would be, “Why would you make such a big investment on something you can’t even touch or hold?” Well, the truth is that buying diamonds online is no different to walking into an expensive retail outlet, providing, of course, you know what you’re doing. For those who are in the market for diamond jewellery and are reluctant to go down the online road, here are some do’s and don’ts to ensure a happy outcome.
- Do Your Research – This involves spending an hour or two Googling diamonds, becoming familiar with the 4Cs, which are, Clarity, Colour, Cut and Carat. Whether you are buying from a retail outlet or an online jeweller, you should at least know the basics about diamonds. Luckily, we have the Internet which allows us to find out just about anything, and a little more besides, and some online reading will give you the confidence to start looking at precious stones.
- Don’t Assume Anything – The online jeweller might have a stunning website with all the right things in the right places, yet with a little searching, you can very quickly ascertain the authenticity of any online jeweller. It is possible to create a website and image without actually having business premises, so make sure that your chosen online jeweller has a retail store and preferably in the right part of the city.
- Do Ask Questions – Some people feel intimidated when looking at expensive diamonds in a traditional retail jewellers, especially with the sales person always at your shoulder. Sourcing the right jeweller cannot be achieved without asking questions, and whether you are communicating via their website or in person, the jeweller should be very happy to answer any questions. If the website has an FAQ page, even better, as most of your queries will be answered.
- Don’t Settle for Second Best – In the unlikely event you don’t find exactly what you are looking for, keep looking. Some online diamond dealers have an extensive catalogue of wholesale diamonds to choose from and they can handcraft any item of jewellery to the client’s specifications. Diamonds are a significant investment and you should be nothing less than very satisfied with the outcome.
- Do Insist on Certification – Regardless of any in-house grading the jeweller might have in place, insist upon a GIA Certificate for every diamond you buy. This basically assures that the stone you are buying is actually graded as described and without this certificate, you cannot be certain of the stone’s authenticity. GIA certification is absolutely essential, especially if you are a person that knows next to nothing about precious stones
If you are looking for something very special, such as a diamond engagement or wedding ring, talk to a wholesale diamond dealer who can design and create the perfect ring. If any occasion demanded something unique, it is an engagement and it might surprise you to learn that having a ring customised is no more expensive than settling for something in their store.